Underground Writersis creating a writing zine
Select a membership level
- For as little as the cost of two fast food hash browns you will receive exclusive first access to all of our original content including blog posts, interviews, reviews and issues! This reward applies to all donors.
- For $10 a month you will receive first access to all of our original content
- You will also receive exclusive access to certain content not released to the public - for Patreon-supporter eyes only!
- You will get a shout-out in our monthly newsletter for as long as you support us
- You will also receive a listing on our website for as long as you support us, with an option to include a link to your own website if you are an artist, blogger, vlogger, podcaster, writer, or otherwise creative*
*this offer is only valid for links to appropriate content, i.e. no pornography, spam, hate-speech or otherwise inappropriate material
About Underground Writers
Underground Writers is a resource for new and emerging writers. We publish a quarterly zine featuring the best new short fiction, poetry, flash fiction and reviews sent to us by writers from Australia and around the world.
We have been in operation since 2009, when Underground was imagined and founded in a small university in Western Australia. Since then we have published 25issues, featuring over a hundred writers who have contributed hundreds of pieces of creative writing in various forms, and have been the home of 15 volunteer editors.
What we currently do:
- four times a year we release a zine containing the best creative writing from our submitters, a round-up of writing opportunities and a review
- prior to each issue our editors read, discuss and critique each submission, then we contact the authors with our feedback and work with them to improve their work for publication
- giving in-depth feedback is what makes us different from other creative writing zines, as we always give feedback, whether we ultimately publish the piece or not, and when we can we offer alternative publications for the author to submit to, if their piece is unsuitable for Underground
- also, each month one of our editors writes a review of a book, movie, album or play, released on our website and social media
All of the Australian titles reviewed by Underground's editors in 2018
What we want to do, and what the money will go towards:
After running on no budget for years we decided that some financial resources were required to realise our big plans. Until 2017 we hadn't been able to pay our contributors as we are un-funded and do not charge a submission fee or a subscription fee for the zine. So through our Patreon supporters we are able to:
- Pay contributors a standard rate per piece of work published
- Commission artwork for each issue, as supporting independent artists and illustrators is another of our wonderful dreams
- Extra money raised will allow us to advertise Underground Writers and reach a wider audience of creatives passionate about writing
- Extra money will also go towards maintaining our website and improving our service to emerging writers
- Further down the road we will also be printing copies of our zine
Our funding milestones
$120 per month will see us able to pay our contributors a reasonable fee for their writing
$200 per month will mean we can also commission an artist to illustrate the zine
$250 onward will give us some money to maintain our website and print copies of the zine
This project is set up as a monthly pledge, but we release issues every three months, so the money gathered over the previous three months will go towards paying writers and illustrator/s at the end of those three months.
What you will receive every month is exclusive first access to all of our original content including blog posts, interviews, reviews, listicles, and the quarterly issues.
And if a one-off donation is more your jam we are still incredibly grateful for your support!
Also, the dollars on Patreon are US dollars, so the monthly amount will change slightly depending on exchange rates.
$119 of $120 per month
1 of 3
Our first goal is to reach $120; this money will enable us to pay our writers for the work that we publish.