Derek Gripperis creating guitar recordings, sheet music, lessons and video tutorials
If you just want to follow without pledging please click on this
and press follow on the LEFT side of the screen. Otherwise, if you’re pledging here goes:
As an entry level patron or you will get
- access to my Patreon Blog: thoughts and musings and news and ideas to brighten your day. These will include short recordings or videos or examples of what I’m working on.
-frequent short compositions / riffs to listen to or play yourself
- access to the introductory Trello Board soon to be replaced by something new which I'm still thinking about - probably a worksheet and audio lesson on the worksheet every month.
- a download of my montessori guitar book, a beginners guide to guitar.
- A download of Jarabi for Beginners worksheet.
All of the above plus
- one new score hot off the press every month.
- one piece recorded and emailed to you every month.
- Access to a database of worksheets and audio lessons. (which is replacing the lesson groups on Trello I am using at present). This will be live from September.
All of the above plus
- access to the subscription I run. At present this will be "Playing Ali" and "Bach Sonatas and Partitas." These will be monthly courses/masterclasses/recordings and you can read more about them here https://gumroad.com/l/tRGaK and here https://gumroad.com/l/JstVj
- a signed book of each year’s scores sent to your actual mailbox in real life as a Christmas present. Which will also be the most up to date version of the different scores.
- access to the Montessori Guitar Teacher’s Course (fifty short videos showing you how to teach beginner guitar using Montessori Method designed by myself). On request! This will only be of interest to teachers of guitar.
- OR if you’re not a guitarist a CD each year as a christmas present. This will not be a commercially released recording so only Patreons will get and it will be made only for Patreons in this tier and above.
About Derek Gripper
“What [Derek Gripper] is doing in his life with educational and other projects is inspiring, and to be honest, I think it is where the guitar should be going.”— JOHN WILLIAMS IN CLASSICAL GUITAR MAGAZINE UK
There are many ways to be part of this online guitar listening and playing community.
First you can simply FOLLOW - click the button top left corner and you will be on my mailing list, get videos and news sent to you regularly.
Second you can become a Patron - there are different tiers to these and you can read about them on this page.
I look forward to sharing my music with you in many forms: stories, writing, lessons, video, recordings, limited edition vinyls for patrons only...and whatever else we can think of together.
“It took Derek Gripper untold hours of painstaking work to transcribe note-for-note the complex compositions of Malian kora player Toumani Diabaté and find a way of playing them on classical six-string guitar. The results appeared on his ninth album, One Night on Earth, marking a meeting point of the written tradition of Western classical music and the oral tradition of the West African griots.
Critical acclaim was quick to follow. Classical guitar legend John Williams said he thought it was “absolutely impossible until I heard Derek Gripper do it”. Toumani Diabaté himself asked for confirmation that it was indeed just one person playing one guitar. Both immediately invited Derek to collaborate with them, Williams at three different concerts in London, and Diabaté at the Acoustik Festival Bamako, Mali.
Derek continues his inspired interpretations of West African composers on his latest album, Libraries on Fire which won a Songlines Award for Best African and Middle Eastern Album for 2017.”
Also to complete all the Toumani scores in staff notation and new tablature versions closer to the original recordings. Jarabi is already complete.